Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Pride and Fear

Today Amelia had her first visit to the lab to get her blood drawn. I dreaded every mile, wishing I had asked Brandon to take her. She was wonderful. The tech, Anna, was fast and accurate and the pain was over almost as fast and sharply as it began. Amelia was confused, but calm. My heart was still weeping. Once in the car, I sat in the back seat with her, wishing to comfort her. She didn't need it. She was happy. Amelia explored the minivan and found a bottle of water. I asked if she was thirsty and received a fixed stare for my concern. The bottle got shaken and stirred but remained closed. Reluctantly, Amelia handed me the bottle. I opened it and held it to her lips, guiding the bottle as she took control and drank. Hardly any spilled. Yaay. She then handed it back so I obediently screwed the lid closed. Oh-Oh. Amelia tilted her head. I was being observed. Little hands reached for the half-empty bottle. Sitting on my lap, I felt my heart tighten as I remembered her little crying face, the needle flowing with her ruby-red blood, the cotton ball soaked in alcohol and omg she opened the water bottle. My heart sank. She can screw a water bottle cap off and on?? She's only 14 months! Yesterday! I'm not ready to baby-proof water bottles! What can possibly come next? Apparently? Water-boarding. Amelia crowed at her success! Then pushed the bottle at my face, guiding it to my lips like I had with her. And tilted the bottle. I gulped down. Then again. She withdrew the bottle, recapped it and smiled. Much like the Mona Lisa. Or my cat when it knows I can't prove he was prancing on the kitchen counters the second I can't see him. One more time, Amelia unscrewed the water cap and forced me to drink to the very last drop. Never was a mother so proud and so afraid.

No comments:

Post a Comment